In 2018, I've translated an inheritance document, and it was my first time actually translating something that is not in my head. From then, I've read a lot of translations from and to various languages in many different forms. From what I learned until know, I definitely agree with Carpenter saying "you never stop learning."
As professor mentioned in the class shortly, each generation needs different translation, because their language is different from what the previous generation has used. In terms of translating the spirit, it is more significant. A brief idea is conveyable even with bunch of words without sentence structure. However, there are more than just a brief idea in a language. I felt that with my heart while doing the poetry translation this week.
Carpenter mentions "changing the order in which the images occur in a poem makes it a completely different poem" and I strongly agree. Although I know about the difference of the sentence structure between Japanese and English sentences, I try to keep the original order despite it is very challenging. I'm glad to see someone with me.
Sometimes, there are something which just cannot be conveyed in different language. I believe those are what makes translating difficult, and at the same time, what makes it worthwhile.
Hyungsoo
No comments:
Post a Comment