Monday, October 4, 2021

Carpenter reading

 This was an interesting reading. Carpenter mentioned at one point how he is impressed by some of the translators while not so much with others. I think this is because some authors are able to convey the emotions of the book while others cannot. What I also thought was really interesting was when he had to translate waku waku and doki doki. The onomatopoeias are what I consider the most difficult part of translation because sometimes there's only a subtle difference between two different onomatopoeias and there might not be any English words that can describe it perfectly. 

Carpenter also talked about Arthur Binard and how he broke the rules in translation. He excluded almost an entire character in the English version of the poetry. Carpenter expressed that he thinks translators are not entitled to make any changes to the original edition. However, I feel like the change is necessary when translating loyally can result in a misunderstanding between the context meaning and the reader. 

 

Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carpenter Reading

I thought that Carpenter’s discussion about her translation of Welcome to Mozart was very compelling because I never really thought about th...