The lecture transcripts and the interview of Carpenter are very enjoyable to read. I could feel Carpenter's energy and enthusiasm in translation. One thing she pointed out that, which I found very useful, is to try one's best to identify with the author. To entirely or perfectly identify with the author seems to be impossible, but it is not hard to keep it in mind while translating. I really like the example she gave about translating "Naze ikiru" into "You Were Born for a Reason" instead of "Why Live" to make the most sense to the readers who are native English speakers. "You Were Born for a Reason" sounds more likely to show the meaning that the original book aims to express. There seem to be numerous details that a translator needs to take into consideration while translating. Still, Carpenter does let me feel that as long as I love translating and keep doing it, I can make it eventually.
Also, Carpenter has mentioned that sometimes translators need friends' help because they may not know the technical terms. "This is an area where creativity is not called for—either you know the correct term or you don't," Carpenter suggests. It is significant to be eager to learn new terms every time, especially doing translations in different fields. I guess what she means is that it is better to ask a profession rather than guessing or creating a word by myself.
To address a little bit on the discussion questions, I agree with Carpenter that translators would need to read through first, even in the murder mysteries. Because I think one of the primary aims of translation is to express what the original author wants the readers to feel, not what the translator feels as a reader. In that case, I would read through first, try to identify with the author, and then start the translation. It is much more important to have control of the pace of the story rather than my own feelings as a reader. But I will definitely take some notes when I read through the first time.
Nina
No comments:
Post a Comment