It was inspiring to read the Carpenter reading along with the interview. As many others mentioned as well, I also liked the metaphor of the coloring book. While we need to follow joshiki, we still have the space for creativity to a certain extent. I also liked how she said we need to strike a balance of being creative and not changing the feel or intention of the text. In my opinion, my translations tend to follow the original; I would like to be creative and try to find the balance in the future.
Carpenter provided many of her creative translation processes in the reading, which was extremely interesting. One was the book Welcome to Mozart. It was fun to see how she has to discern the slight difference between わくわく and ドキドキ, and how she deals with other moods. It is a process of digging out the spirit of the Japanese word and transposing it to that of an English term or description. The translation of お茶をひかずに辞書を引くってわけか was also interesting. She was very creative and her translation was fascinating.
One of the parts I liked about the interview was looking at the collaboration parts of a book. It was interesting how their sentences improve from the rough draft through different word choices. I also liked her quote from the reading: "How do you be a translator? You remain interested in it, you pursue it." I feel this applies to all of us; as long as we are interested, we are always in the translation world.
Iris
No comments:
Post a Comment